Saturday, March 19, 2011

Interview with Adele Diamond

3 comments:

  1. Part of my #3: This information is probably a breath of fresh air for some teachers because I know that this can open so many new doors for teaching methods. I love being active and if I can incorporate that in the classroom then I would already feel more successful. I am very interested in nutrition as well; particularly children’s nutrition because of the obesity problem in America, and this piece is a great way to combine academics and health.

    I also think that the state of education in this piece seems to be regressing instead of progressing because so many classes in the arts are being eliminated.
    I just wonder if these activities would work very easily in the upper grades as well as in elementary schools...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Diamond’s belief that learning should be fun to encourage students to be life-long learners has convinced me of the importance of fully engaging the entire student in the learning process. Keeping in mind that physical activity, problem solving, research methods, memory, and inhibitory control are life-long skills needed in daily life it is best if students learn these early on, especially since memory is so important for creativity. To aid my students attain these essential skills I could use the daily grammar drills and in-class verbal quizzes to ensure students make connections between what we have read or studied and new concepts from the day’s lesson. I want my students to master inhibitory control and memory skills more than ever because I have seen too many people without a high level of mastery in these areas and it is not only harder for them to learn but they have more trouble retaining the concepts they already know.
    I was similarly intrigued by the tactic of switching pencils when students get to a word or letter that they usually “mirror-write” so they can take the time needed to consider the letter and how it is formed. This not only teaches patience, but cause and effect, reflection on the acts and impulses of motor-skills, which may later expand to mediation on personal choices, problem-solving, empathy, and emphasizes long-term planning; skills students will need in their personal and professional lives. In addition they will learn how to properly form letters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found Dr. Diamond's interview interesting...at times it was hard for me to pay attention I'll be honest, but I did write down some things that stuck out to me though. I like how she addresses, like everyone else's videos I've seen, how its okay to let children make mistakes. This teaches them patience, and self control, and later on helps them learn. But I really liked how she said that the teachers need to help with this. So that brings me to my answer for #6:

    6. What does this piece have to say about what happens when we don’t expect much from learners vs. when we expect a lot? What does it say about how education might involve not just teaching academics but also going beyond just that to something more holistic?
    a. “Do not expect much from students…don’t have students come in and be like ‘I’m a poor student, teacher doesn’t like me, etc.’ small difference in beginning makes a big difference in the end. Help the children who do not have good executive functions to have them.” This says exactly what it means. Not all kids come in with good executive functions. Not all children come in creative, ready to learn, or even wanting to be in school. So as the educator, you need to instill that in them in an earlier age to help them be more motivated to learn as time goes on.


    do you think there is an age limit to where a child can no longer be helped with creating executive functions?

    ReplyDelete