Friday, March 11, 2011

Questions for Danielle Cline

22 comments:

  1. I'll bet you've thought a little about how you would teach mythology to middle or high school students. What are some good ideas you've had?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love movies as well. What is your favorite genre and what is your favorite modern movie?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also a movie fanatic…so I have another movie question for you.


    I think we have all experienced the fear that comes from hearing that one of our favorite books is being made into a movie…so I was just wondering what is the worst film adaptation you’ve seen that was based on a book you liked?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure if this is how we're supposed to answer these questions, but I guess I'll answer all previous posts with this comment. The easiest way to teach to middle school students is to create activities. With writing we try and pull images and things that will inspire thought. I imagine if I were given the chance to teach a mythology class to high school students I would choose some images and a few snipets of text from Edith Hamilton's Mythology. For other types of mythology like Ancient Egyptian I'd have to look into copies of primary sources.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As far as movies go, I think my favorite genre is action/suspense. I couldn't pick a favorite movie if I had a generation to choose. I loved Inception though. The psychology was so much fun.
    When I go see a movie that's based on a book I try really hard not to think of the book. I don't know that I've hated any that I've seen,but I haven't read many and then gone to see the movie. I really hated Benjamin Button but I didn't care for the book either. I know everybody loves that movie. It didn't do much for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since you lived in New Jersey, were you fist pumping like a champ on the reg? And do you think the version of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest," with Jack Nicholson was the best?

    -Brent

    ReplyDelete
  7. What sparked your interest in WWII warships and airplanes? Those are some particularly unique hobbies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love "Wicked" and have seen it at the Fox as well. What would you say is your favorite part?

    ReplyDelete
  9. (well since i knew most of this already, lol. yay for Dacula Middle and High School)

    I did not know that One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was your favorite book and movie. What makes it your favorite? The story line? Characters? Do tell.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Danielle!!

    Since you love history so much and I know you are taking at least one history class now, are you minoring in it? Do you think you would want to teach history in the future?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Since you're interested in history, I'm sure Egypt is just the start of a long list of places you'd like to visit. What are some other cool, historical sights you'd like to visit?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Danielle, I love history too! My family always teases me because I relate a lot of things back to history. Do you have a favorite time period of history?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Do you feel working at a corporate job makes the transition to the classroom easier or more difficult? What strategies or skills from your job do you think will be most effective in the classroom?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Danielle,
    It's weird because we can actually go back so far...to middle school. And I totally understand all your feelings about Dacula. Should have come to Mill Creek because our football team sucked so we had to be good in other things :) And I saw Wicked on Broadway and it was amazing! I'd love to see it again...but I am interested to know if you read the book? I did...and it was incredibly weird to me. Loved the play...not the book.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't been able to post a comment for some reason. I'm testing to see whether my posts will work again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Answer for Brent: was I fist pumping like a champ on the reg? I apologize but I'm not sure what you mean by that. I enjoy a fist pump here and there sure. The acting was of much higher quality with Jack Nicholson.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Answer for Erin: My grandfather served in WWII so that's where the love comes from. I can hardly go a conversation with him without asking for a WWII story. He was stationed in Japan after the bombs were dropped. We go to numerous museums and exhibits featuring airplanes and warships when we can.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Answer for Abigail: I love the part just before intermission when she flies for the first time. That musical note that she holds out as she "soars" over all the people who have oppressed her for so long makes me tear up every time.

    Answer for Danielle B: One flew over the Cuckoo's nest by Kesey is a work I've loved for a short time, but one that's hooked me since I studied it freshman year. I think we read it in high school once, but I can't remeber loving it then. I still can't pinpoint it's magical power over me, but I love reading it. Now in my writing I try to include this attraction to the mentally ill that Kesey has instilled in me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Answer for Marina: hey! Yes I minored in history for my undergrad years. I would love to teach it in high school, but I'm still working on the ways that would be best to entertain and bring students a love of history that I have.

    Answer for Christine: I'd love to visit Greece someday and find a way to get to all those ruins that I've never set foot on. I'd like to see the Great Wall in China, the islands that make up Malasia and Indonesia, and I'd like to see Irland and Scotland to name a few.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Answer for Rose: I can't get past the ancient civilizations. I can't narrow it down to a specific time period. My parents tease me too when I relate things to history. No worries I've been there.

    Answer for Lorien: When I worked at JCPenny the number one concern was to give the customer what they want. as we've learned from our pre-program reading and watching, what students need and what they want is completely different. One thing that working in retail has given me is a strong voice when something is wrong. We had a code Adam one day, which means that there is a child lost in the store. It was one of our busiest weekends and people were literally pushing each other out of the way to get in line for the cash register. When my boss told me over the radio that we had a code Adam, I stood on top of the check out desk and yelled for everyone to calm down and they'd be taken care of as fast and efficiently as is humanly possible. I said that there was a lost child and told eveyone to stay still and search their immediate area. One of my coworkers went to the nearest exit to make sure that the child didn't leave the store. We found the little girl playing in the elevator. Leadership under stress I guess is what I find most valuable.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey Brittany! Yes I did read the book. It was strange to me in a lot of ways. I loved the play, but there was almost a weird attraction to the book that I just couldn't put it down. I wouldn't suggest anyone who has seen the play or wants to see it to read the book. I didn't like it as much as the play either.

    ReplyDelete