Friday, March 11, 2011

Questions for Andrew Burton

21 comments:

  1. It was fun reading your biography because I've known you a long time, but I learned a lot about you. Some things I knew, but many were surprises. A question I have for you is, how do you think the high quality of your middle and high school experience is going to help you in your future career?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved my British and American literature classes but I know they can be a bit boring.;) I had never heard of a Canadian literature class, but it sounds like something I might be interested in. My question for you is what is it about Canadian and African literature that makes it special to you? Is it learning about different cultures or the style of writing that interests you the most?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that my middle and high school experiences will help me in that I have learned through those teachers that making the class engaging enables students to learn more easily.

    I can apply the same thing to my college career - after spending so many semesters in 4000-level English courses, I am in my last 2000-level English class right now, and it is all I can do to try to pass the class; I am bored out of my mind because I miss class discussion in this class, since all my teacher does is re-read to me what I read (or was supposed to read) the night before.

    I also learned (on a less positive note) that having the same teacher for 7 straight years limits one's ability to write for a broader audience. After having my teacher for so long, it was difficult for me to write for my 1101/02 teacher, because I was so used to writing to suit my teacher's expectations. I essentially had to re-learn how to write. [Not that I know how this will affect the way I teach other than if I do switch from middle school to high school.]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amber, I think you may be on to something there. It may be that I'm over-exposed to all things "American" and have just grown accustomed to it and feel as though there's nothing more to "learn" about it (although I know I can never know everything there is to know about it).

    So it's probably a mixture of that, how the teachers taught the class (my Am Lit and Brit Lit classes have been *VERY* dry), and the "mystery" behind the African and Canadian novels - exposure to new ideas/concepts/cultures. I've got a list of Canadian Lit and African novels that I would love to assign to my students if I have the authority to do some day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrew, I can tell you are very passionate about grammar. As someone who is not passionate about it (I was always taught to just memorize everything) what makes it so exciting. How will you instill this passion into your future students and maybe me too?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrew, my mother's maiden name is Burton. Maybe we're long lost 8th cousins? You said you have a passion for grammar, so do you text as well as you write?

    -Brent

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Andrew! I came from a very big school-400 in my graduating class-so we have different backgrounds. Are you looking to teach in a private school like yours, with a smaller, intimate setting? Or do you want to take on the big public schools?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know you love linguistics, as do I. I am falling in love with the field of sociolinguistics. Is there an area you feel more drawn to in linguistics? Are you going to incorporate that into your classroom?

    ReplyDelete
  9. My question is similar to Christine's. As the product of an incredibly "close" school system, would you recommend small schools for say, your own children? What are the pros and cons of graduating as one of twenty-four?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Andrew,

    what is your favroite part about linguistics? is it the word formation, the different endings for some verbs, or maybe even translating old english? (that was my favroite part) what was your favorite linguistics course?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Andrew:
    Hopefully not moving into to personal of a question, but is your family on board with your decision to break the cycle and become a teacher, rather than farming? In other words, while I know you said your calling is not to be a farmer, have you had to battle any feelings of obligations to follow in the footsteps of prior generations? Mixed feelings? (In completely unrelated minutiae that I left out of my bio, I come from three generations of firemen. My dad has always sort of discouraged me from ever even considering the profession because I never showed interest early on, and I never would, but there is always something sort of cool about continuing something like that.)
    -NH

    ReplyDelete
  12. In response to the GRAMMAR questions:

    Katherine, I'm not really sure where my passion for grammar came from. I was taught grammar the same way you were - more or less memorization, with an occasional "fun" project here and there. My passion for grammar developed years after middle school and didn't really develop until the time that I've been in college. So in response to your question, I'm not really sure how I will/plan to go about teaching my future students about grammar, but I hope that my genuine excitement over it will shine through and will encourage them to love (if not, at least tolerate) it.

    ***********

    Brent, That's awesome!!! (And quite possibly a reality. My family is originally from Lawrenceville many generations ago. We have a family reunion every year in Winder. That would be crazy awesome if we found out we were related!) And it's funny that you ask the question about texting. I actually do text the way I write/speak. I can sometimes be a long-winded person (though not in academic writing, for some reason). So I am easily frustrated by the character limitations placed on me when I send a text message. I, for one, do not "txt;" I text. And I very seldomly abbreviate in my messages, so I often end up sending multiple text messages to get my message across. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  13. In response to the PUBLIC/PRIVATE SCHOOL questions:

    Christine, that is an interesting question, and it's one that I've asked myself many times (and still continue to ask myself). If I look into the reality that is the job market these days, I'd have to say "whatever is available and whoever will hire me." Having only ever gone to private school, it would be easier for me to function in a private school setting (I liked how my teachers were more or less given the freedom to teach whatever/however they thought best). I did not, however, like how the parents thought they could control the teachers and run the school just because they paid tuition. So private school would be a double-edged sword, so to speak.

    *****
    Erin, factoring in some of the things I mentioned in my response to Christine, I can honestly say that I loved going to a small school. What I do know is that, even with 20/20 hindsight, I can't say whether I would have preferred the small school setting that I experienced or whether I would have gotten more out of a larger school. I do feel as though I missed out on several opportunities because I did not go to a larger school, but I also think that I would not have had the relationships with my teachers/classmates/administrators that I had at my smaller school. And as far as for my children (if and when that day comes), I don't think I can answer that one honestly at the moment. I feel that it would be a decision made between my wife/children's mother, factoring in finances and the quality of education at the area schools, among other things.

    ReplyDelete
  14. In response to the LINGUISTICS questions:

    Abby, I'm not sure which area I find most interesting. I am fascinated with First and Second Language Acquisition and many other aspects. I would definitely be interested in somehow getting linguistics into my curriculum!!

    *****

    Dani, while I love translating/transcribing (loads of fun!), as I told Abby, I love FLA/SLA. And my favorite linguistics class has been Human Language with Dr. Melancon, although I very much enjoyed History of the English Language with Dr. Melancon and Medieval English with Dr. Calender. One day I will definitely be taking Structure of Present-Day English as well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nick, thankfully I have parents who are very supportive of my decision to become a teacher. I/we have known since I was really young that farming just isn't for me, and I/we're okay with that. My family wants me to be happy with my job. And they've actually encouraged me not to go into farming (what with the agriculture business the way it is now compared to when my family got started - the farming industry has drastically changed over the generations).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Andrew,

    Do you think your younger brother will carry on the Burton family farming legacy since you are not? And also, your mom's job at the funeral home interests me. Has she told you any crazy stories about things that have happened there?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Marina, without a doubt, Matthew will definitely become a farmer. That's all he wants to do it seems. Haha. The kid cracks me up.

    And yes, I now know more about the dying/funeral process than I ever thought I'd know and/or that I care to know. Anna (my sister) and I joke that we're the only one of our groups of friends who hang out at the funeral home. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Andrew,
    You listed some of my favorite books in your biography. Most of the questions I was thinking of have already been asked, so I will ask a somewhat random question. I see that your picture is from a trip to New Orleans. I love New Orleans, we used to go there when I was younger, but we haven't been since Katrina. What was your favorite part about the city? We're going back this year, is there anything you'd suggest to do?
    ~Rose

    ReplyDelete
  19. Rose, I love New Orleans so much!! I've been blessed to have gone the past two Spring Breaks on mission trips there through the Wesley Foundation (the campus ministry that I have participated in throughout college). The trips have touched my heart, there is not doubt.

    I can't really think of a favorite part of the city (everything about it is so amazing!) When we weren't working on our work sites on the mission trips, we were able to go out and explore. I very much enjoy taking the ferry across the Mississippi from the Algiers area to the Chalmette area. I absolutely love the French Quarter (especially a cafe-au-lait from Cafe du Monde!) and the atmosphere around the Quarter - the salesmen/women, the street performers, the artists - I could go on and on.

    I must say that it's hard to believe it's been 6 and 1/2 years. Although the city has come a long way in repairs, there is still so much to be done. I highly recommend a trip through the Lower Ninth Ward for a dose of exactly what the devastation looks like. It's so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Andrew... :)

    How far we have come. ha. Well you mentioned you like musicals...so have you ever seen any performed...on Broadway or anywhere...I am not really a fan of watching the movies, but my mom sees them a lot in show and loves them.
    See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What was your most favorite Linguistics class and why?

    ReplyDelete